SAFER SCHOOLS NEWS-VOL. 160
San Bernardino Mass Shooting w/ Ties to Terrorism
14 Dead, 21 Injured & 2 Gunmen Dead
San Bernardino, CA – Mass shooting at the Inland Regional Center (a “Soft Target”) in San Bernardino on Dec. 2, 2015 at 11 am. This male and female couple committed the deadliest U.S. mass shooting since Sandy Hook in December 2012 before being killed by police. Police have identified the two mass shooting suspects as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and Tashfeen Malik, 27. It has been confirmed that Farook was a Muslim American citizen and Malik was not an American citizen (citizenship not determined). Farook, 28, and Malik, 27, had been married for two years. Farook visited Saudi Arabia to meet Tashfeen whom he met online.
Breaking News that has recently surfaced:
It was learned that Syed Farook – shooter in the San Bernardino shooting massacre, was apparently radicalized and in touch with people being investigated by the FBI for international terrorism, law enforcement officials report.
This attack came less than three weeks after 132 people were killed in multiple assaults in Paris. The so-called Islamic State claimed responsibility for the Nov. 13 attacks, heightening fears that other Western targets were at risk from the terrorist group. These fears may have come to pass in San Bernardino. Past terrorist attacks on schools
Farook who was an employee there and was at the party but left abruptly before the shooting. He seemed angry, witnesses reported. He returned. And, along with Malik (his wife), both of them were dressed in tactical gear, wearing go-pro cameras and carrying assault rifles, saying nothing but opening fire, killing 14 people in less than 4 minutes. That level of preparation is among the factors investigators are weighing as they examine a motive for the attack. Witnesses at the party said there was no warning of the shooting. Many at the party and in the building sheltered-in-place and others evacuated to the School for the Blind across the street from the shooting. One witness who was inside the conference room when gunfire erupted at around 11 a.m. PT shared her insights. She was also shot twice in the hand and once in the stomach but doctors said no vital organs were hit, according to her husband.
By the time police arrived on scene the shooters had fled in a black SUV but three explosive devices were found at the scene of the shooting which were “disposed of.” Investigators believe the devices were a “pipe bomb-type design”. The suspects, who were shot dead during a police standoff, were armed with .223 caliber assault rifles as well as handguns and remote detonation devices. It is believed that these detonation devices where designed to detonate the “disposed of” explosives left at the mass shooting scene when first responders arrived, upping the body count. This maybe the reason they did not flee the area but stayed close due to the distance limitations of the remote detonation devices. After the shooting courts, schools and other facilities in San Bernardino were on lockdown for security precautions. San Bernardino Unified School District said more than 70 schools were involved in the lockdown precaution.
The black SUV was spotted only miles from the Mass shooting scene. Police in pursuit of the SUV ended up in a gun battle with the two suspects. The two suspects were killed in that police standoff four hours after the shooting. Both the suspects were armed with assault rifles, handguns, detonators and “assault-style clothing” when they were shot dead in their black SUV.
Police next converged on the residence of the two deceased mass shooters. At their residence police found 12 pipe bombs, more than 4K rounds of ammo, weapons and other remote detonators. It appears that they had follow-on-plans for more mass shootings they wanted to carry out.