Breaking News: UPDATE: School Stabbing, 22 injured
UPDATE: (4.10.14) – 22 wounded in Stabbing Spree:
Alex Hribal (16 year old) is being charged as an adult with four counts of attempted murder, 21 counts of aggravated assault and one count of possessing a weapon in the stabbing rampage at a Western Pennsylvania high school. It is reported that the student has a “blank expression” on his face as he swung the two knifes around stabbing and cutting students.
Twenty-one students and a security officer were stabbed in the incident. While the US has seen a series of mass shootings in recent years, including schools, movie theaters and shopping areas, mass stabbings are less common. The incident ended with an SRO and staff member subduing him. It is reported that the suspect made some statements after school officials tackled him that indicated he wanted to die. The School District reported that they had done extensive training on how to respond to a critical incident. But most of the training focused on an active shooter and not someone with a knife. The suspect’s motive is currently unknown but under investigation.
Although, student’s who knew the suspect have shared their insight (possible Early Warning Signs):
- One student described him as being “a little misunderstood”, having a “disturbing twist” about him and saying, “I just always felt like he had a different side to him that nobody knew and it was, like, hard to uncover.”
- Another student said, he was sort-of nerdy, studied a lot and that his test scores were “pretty good.” She went on to say, he was quiet and didn’t have a lot of friends.
- Still another student said, he’s “a quiet kid” with a low social profile and “He wasn’t a kid who would do something like this.”
- Lastly another student stated, I recall that he was small for his age, “like a little boy” and that he was teased. This student went on to say, “I’d witnessed people say things to him” and “I couldn’t tell you who said it. I didn’t realize it was all that bad.” She described the teasing as somewhat relentless.
Parents were horrified and said through their attorney, “they did not foresee this coming. They expressed absolute horror,” They are reporting that in the past he had had no psychiatric or disciplinary problems.
As this case unfolds it is certain that additional information will come to light about his motives and additional Early and Imminent Warning Signs. Although, currently many are saying (including parents) “How could this have happened?” and “Why didn’t we see this coming?“.
Murrysville, PA (4.9.14) – 20 injured in stabbing Spree
20 Injured in a stabbing rampage at Franklin Regional High School in Murrysville outside of Pittsburgh. School a district of 3,600 students. It is reported that one suspect, a male student who is in custody following an incident at the High School. According to authorities, the suspect entered the school holding a knife before the first class bell. The school was placed in Lock-Down according to reports. Additionally it is reported, that 20 are injured range in age from 15 to 60 years old and that the alleged perpetrator is in custody.
According to officials, the stabbings happened in numerous classrooms and in the hallway throughout the building before classes had begun. Eye witness accounts (not yet confirmed) state that someone came into the school with a knife and started slashing people, including some of his friends.
A woman told officials that her son was in the hall, getting ready for class, when he heard screaming and saw someone stabbing students.
Four patients were flown by medical helicopter and others through ground transported to area hospitals. There were reports that traffic issues became an issue. A doctor at Forbes Regional Hospital says seven of the victims suffered life threatening injuries. Injuries are “quite serious,” and “some are clearly life-threatening,” a doctor reports.
According to the school district’s website, “A critical incident has occurred at the high school. All elementary schools are cancelled, the middle school and high school students are secure. Additional information will be released as soon as possible. Please keep our campus clear of traffic.”
- FREE Knowledge Base Downloads
- Assessing the Potentially Dangerous Student
- First Responsers
- Emergency Response & Drills
- School Violence Readinenss