Use statements that reflect feelings:
- You feel (very)_____________.
- That must make you feel ___________________.
- You sound ________________.
- You find it (very) ___________.
- That must be ___________ for you.
FOCUSING ON THE PROBLEM(S)
Use open-ended questions:
- What happened today?
- Can you tell me what’s going on right now?
- Can you recall what started all of this?
- How does this make you feel?
- How long has this been going on?
- Where do things stand right now?
- How do you see things turning out?
- Has something like this ever happened before?
- Have you ever felt like this before?
- How has all this affected you?
- How do you see the problem right now?
- Which problem(s) do you want to see resolved the most?
Ask questions/Reflect feelings/Don’t argue:
- What have you tried so far?
- What has helped in the past? What hasn’t?
- Who has been most supportive?
- What help are you looking for now?
- You seem confused about what to do.
- Things seem overwhelming right now.
- It is hard for you to know what to do next.
- What have you thought of trying?
- What would you like to do? What gets in the way?
- What do you think needs to happen?
- Have you considered ____________? (identify alternatives to suicide)
- Of the ideas we’ve talked about, what seems best to you?
- What will you do now?
- Who can help you with this?