Helping Children of a Catastrophic Disaster
dealing with Anger, Suicide, Depression, Anxiety Disorders and other disorders of Displaced children
Displacement Due to Disaster will equip those who attend with the knowledge and skills needed to meet this unique challenge. This training targets – teachers, school officials, SRO’s, Bus Drivers, Counselors and other youth workers who are in the position of receiving displaced students.
When a student is displaced to a new location, new school, he or she has a considerable adjustment. When a large group of students from a single area transfer into a new school hundreds of miles away, there is considerable adjustment for the students of both schools, the staff and the community. Add the fact that none of these new students wanted to leave their former schools, they now live in humble conditions and many have lost family members, friends and pets.
Keep in mind that not only will the schools be overloaded, so will the support system that normally would be readily available. Teachers can expect to be called on to handle issues that counselors handled before and counselors will be called on to handle issues that clinics previously handled. This training will provide essential information on such topics as:
- How to help “old” students accept “new” students
- Should incoming students be kept together or integrated throughout the system
- How to identify and de-escalate an angering situation
- How to stay safe in an unsafe situation
- How to recognize a potentially dangerous situation
- How to recognize displacement related issues, such as, depression, anxiety disorders, suicidal ideations, phobias and others
- What to refer, When to refer, Where to refer, How to refer.
- What to do about bullying
- What to do when you need an SRO but they are all involved in another situation
or call 800-504-7355
In the Catastrophic Disaster of Hurricane Katrina, Houston opened its collective heart and arms to these displaced families and their students – primarily from New Orleans; however, violence between the two groups erupted which marred the healing process.
Fight Breaks out between students from Houston and New Orleans – Read More…