Student Violence Watch List
The National School Safety Center
…warns that a student showing some of these traits may become predisposed to violence.
- Has tantrums and uncontrollable angry outbursts
- Has been truant, suspended or expelled from school.
- Has little or no supervision and support from parents or a caring adult.
- Prefers reading materials dealing with violent themes, rituals and abuse.
- Characteristically resorts to name calling, cursing or abusive language.
- Habitually makes violent threats when angry.
- Has previously brought a weapon to school.
- Has a background of serious disciplinary problems.
- Has a background of drug, alcohol or other substance abuse or dependency.
- Has few or no close friends.
- Is preoccupied with weapons, explosives or other incendiary devices.
- Displays cruelty to animals.
- Has witnessed or been a victim of neglect or abuse in the home.
- Has been bullied and/or bullies or intimidates peers or younger children.
- Tends to blame others for difficulties and problems they cause.
- Consistently prefers TV shows, reading materials, movies or music expressing violent themes, rituals and abuse.
- Reflects anger, frustration and the dark side of life in school writing projects.
- Has a fascination with death and weapons
- Is involved with a gang or an antisocial group on the fringe of peer acceptance.
- Is often depressed and has significant mood swings.
- Has threatened or attempted suicide.
- See Map of School Shootings in US
- Learn about the “Potentially Dangerous Student“
- Learn more about “Early Warning Signs”
- Learn more about FREE Knowledge Base Center